Lagoon Is Fun
Opening Weekend - Printable Version

+- Lagoon Is Fun (http://www.lagoonisfun.com)
+-- Forum: Lagoon (http://www.lagoonisfun.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Lagoon Discussion (http://www.lagoonisfun.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Opening Weekend (/showthread.php?tid=5576)

Pages: 1 2 3

Opening Weekend - Willenator - 12-01-2016

What weekend do you think Lagoon will choose for opening weekend? Last year, opening weekend fell on March 25th and 26th. Looking at the calendar, those dates fall on a Saturday and Sunday again for 2017, so I'm thinking it is safe to pick that weekend again for 2017. What do you think?

RE: Opening Weekend - UtahCoasterEnth - 12-01-2016

(12-01-2016, 01:46 AM)Willenator Wrote: What weekend do you think Lagoon will choose for opening weekend? Last year, opening weekend fell on March 25th and 26th. Looking at the calendar, those dates fall on a Saturday and Sunday again for 2017, so I'm thinking it is safe to pick that weekend again for 2017. What do you think?

I would think they will do that again. I kinda wish they would stay closed to mid April just so they have more time to get ready.

RE: Opening Weekend - Brăden - 12-01-2016

Maybe they'll open earlier so they can actually have a soft opening again.

RE: Opening Weekend - UtahCoasterEnth - 12-01-2016

(12-01-2016, 10:00 AM)Brăden Wrote: Maybe they'll open earlier so they can actually have a soft opening again.

If we have a mild winter they could.

RE: Opening Weekend - CPrider - 12-02-2016

This is what i would like to see next year.

RE: Opening Weekend - crooks.mark - 12-02-2016

(12-02-2016, 12:56 AM)CPrider Wrote: This is what i would like to see next year.
I believe Lagoon with the way the weather is anymore could actually push their season a little earlier and later. Just my opinion. I hope this year they are open the week before Halloween. I missed that this year.

RE: Opening Weekend - Z - 12-02-2016

(12-02-2016, 03:06 PM)crooks.mark Wrote: I believe Lagoon with the way the weather is anymore could actually push their season a little earlier and later. Just my opinion. I hope this year they are open the week before Halloween. I missed that this year.

This year they could have stayed open until Thanksgiving... It would seem to me that properly managed, they could have limited openings through much later in the year in almost every year.

RE: Opening Weekend - DragonTamer - 12-03-2016

(12-02-2016, 04:38 PM)Z Wrote: This year they could have stayed open until Thanksgiving... It would seem to me that properly managed, they could have limited openings through much later in the year in almost every year.

I distinctly remember thinking that this year.  I actually own a few Lagoon hoodies now, and I honestly barely used them this year with the abnormally warm pre- & post-season.

From a Maintenance flow standpoint, I really doubt there's much room left to compress the Winter off-season and still do Maintenance as-is, though.  Unless you've worked at the park full-time, I really don't think people appreciate just how busy the off-season at the park is, at least for Maintenance.  Honestly, it's almost kind of a relief to get back to opening day and just have to do daily inspections and the odd repair & lube job.  When I was there back in the mid '90s, it literally took the full off-season to get all tear-down, inspection, testing, and rebuild work completed on Fire Dragon.  Every lap bar gets removed, disassembled, cleaned, NDTd, reassembled, lubed, and reinstalled.  Every wheel housing is fully disassembled.  Every wheel is disassembled.  Every bearing is washed, inspected, and repacked.  Every brake cylinder is torn down, cleaned, inspected, and re-lubed (those springs are a blast trying to take apart).  Every brake shoe is inspected & possibly replaced.  It's a TON of work to overhaul the gal for opening day.  If you ever notice that Fire Dragon only opens with one or two trains, it's because the other train(s) are probably still being finished put back together.

I honestly think that if Lagoon was going to extend the operating season much more, they'd almost have to go to a rotating Maintenance schedule--or at least a partial one--something like year-round parks do, where select rides get closed for a few weeks at a time to have their annual maintenance completed during park operations.  Or for something like Fire Dragon, start pulling off trains one at a time to overhaul them on a staggered schedule.

Good ol' climate change... yay?

Or hey, maybe this should be the year Lagoon finally installs a big dome over the place and goes full time.  No more closing for weather, the rides would take less environmental wear & tear, and the park could be a comfortable climate-controlled temperature all season long.  Plus, we could finally have a winter holiday-themed event at the park to follow Frightmares! Wink

RE: Opening Weekend - Willenator - 12-03-2016

Lagoon dome!

RE: Opening Weekend - DragonTamer - 12-03-2016

(12-03-2016, 12:42 PM)Willenator Wrote: Lagoon dome!

It worked for Surf 'n Swim!  Happy