Lagoon Is Fun
Wiki Discussion - Printable Version

+- Lagoon Is Fun (http://www.lagoonisfun.com)
+-- Forum: LagoonIsFun.com (http://www.lagoonisfun.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: LagoonIsFun.com Discussion (http://www.lagoonisfun.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Wiki Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=5139)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Wiki Discussion - Willenator - 12-15-2014

For those of us who are working on the wiki, I decided it might help to have a wiki discussion thread on the forum for general discussion of the wiki, what we are working on, and ideas. This will help keep generic discussion out of the wiki talk pages to keep things organized.

There was one discussion on the wiki that was brought up that I'm moving here.

Gregwibert Wrote:Do you think it would be cool to list the color / date each time Lagoon has painted a specific ride? We would probably need to also include a picture of the ride for each color scheme. Wild Mouse used to be yellow with purple/pink track a few years ago and now it is yellow with green track. Same with Rock-O- . Just a thought.

Jetstar2 Wrote:I think it's a good idea to add pictures that show how the rides used to look. I think this wiki supports image galleries so maybe we can use that. If you check the discussion over at Rock-O-Plane you'll see that Willinator only has an old picture of it and is looking for a newer one. I have a really nice pic of the previous colors on wild mouse.

Yes, the wiki does use galleries. I have one setup on the Cannibal page featuring the construction renderings that you can see for reference. I'm planning to go back through and adding small galleries to some of the pages.

RE: Wiki Discussion - jetstar2 - 12-16-2014

Awesome job getting all the ride pages up! Now they're ready to be updated and improved by anybody who wants to put in the effort, right?

In the past I've also tried to maintain a site about Lagoon with a bunch of ride pages, and there's really only so much one person can do in regards to keeping everything up to date, accurate and complete. I really think this wiki can take the idea to a whole new level. This can lead to something that's both informative to somebody who hasn't ever visited the park, and compelling to long-time park veterans. Nobody really wants to just read one static ride page after another, but the way this is set up it has room for lots of interconnected information and cool surprises that just wouldn't be feasible any other way.

I'm going to point to some of the other discussions going on on the wiki in case anybody wants to throw in their two cents. Discussion is happening on the following pages:

Puff
Air Race
TOTC
Rock-O-Plane
Jet Star 2
Rides

If anybody wants to join in the discussion on the wiki, there's an explanation of how to do it here.

RE: Wiki Discussion - Willenator - 12-16-2014

(12-16-2014, 09:31 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: Awesome job getting all the ride pages up! Now they're ready to be updated and improved by anybody who wants to put in the effort, right?

Yep! Have at it. I'm going to continue converting the pages on the forum over to the wiki. That will continue to be my focus until I have them all converted, then I'll work with everyone else on improving and updating the information.

(12-16-2014, 09:31 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: Nobody really wants to just read one static ride page after another, but the way this is set up it has room for lots of interconnected information and cool surprises that just wouldn't be feasible any other way.

Agreed. It is definitely a better approach to organize information over static pages. I'm fascinated how the wiki works and have been enjoying learning it so far.

RE: Wiki Discussion - jetstar2 - 12-17-2014

(12-16-2014, 09:43 PM)Willenator Wrote: Yep! Have at it. I'm going to continue converting the pages on the forum over to the wiki. That will continue to be my focus until I have them all converted, then I'll work with everyone else on improving and updating the information.

Awesome, it gets better everyday. I'm going to write the "accidents" and the general "lagoon" pages that I suggested on the wiki and maybe add some photos. I'll continue the tutorial when more people are participating.

RE: Wiki Discussion - Brăden - 12-17-2014

Just make sure you give proper credit for images. Part of the reason some people don't share their Lagoon photos is the fact that so many people copy and paste them all over the internet. I always seek permission first when possible.

RE: Wiki Discussion - jetstar2 - 12-17-2014

(12-17-2014, 02:14 AM)Brădēn Wrote: Just make sure you give proper credit for images. Part of the reason some people don't share their Lagoon photos is the fact that so many people copy and paste them all over the internet. I always seek permission first when possible.

Yes, indeed. I'm only adding photos that I took.

Each uploaded picture has an accompanying summary that should be used to explain why it's ok to post the picture.

RE: Wiki Discussion - Willenator - 12-17-2014

The conversion is complete for the information pages (at least for the stuff I wanted to convert). I'm now going to work on improving on what I have and beginning the process of expanding the wiki.

Here is a small list of what I hope to create as the wiki continues to grow:
  • Games category with individual game pages. We do have individual threads on the forum for each game, so I would just need to copy the information over much like I did on the rides pages.
  • Entertainment category with pages focusing on stages and shows. I've always wanted to do better in this area with information.
  • Food category with pages on the different areas to eat in and different food stands.
  • Shops category with pages on the different merchandise stands.

RE: Wiki Discussion - gregwibert - 12-17-2014

Maybe a few other items of interest:

(1) Bathrooms!!!

(2) Various animals currently housed at Lagoon. Maybe we can help with public relations by stating what we know about Lagoon's breeding program (they are actually trying to HELP keep these species).

(3) Pioneer Village historic buildings and attractions. We could also add what we know about the "haunted" areas.

(4) Lagoon Trail. I feel this trail isn't covered very well / not a lot of folks know about it. Maybe the campground could be lumped here as well.

(5) LAB / water slides / etc. It would be cool to see the original LAB compared to what we currently have.

(6) Other Farmington attractions / eating establishments / hiking trails above Lagoon / etc?

RE: Wiki Discussion - Willenator - 12-18-2014

I forgot about Pioneer Village! I even have the category already created. I've always wanted to have lots of information on each house too.

RE: Wiki Discussion - Brăden - 12-18-2014

I've been slowly putting together info on each PV exhibit for my website. Lots of conflicting info on some of them. Just trying to sort it all out.